Share this Article
PDCflow’s Thriving in Third Party series has helped us get to know professionals in the credit and collection industry from all kinds of backgrounds. Some, like Kelly Parsons-O’Brien, have grown up with the collection business. Some of our interviewees like Harry Strausser III and Aron Tomko have found they enjoy educating others in the industry.
This week’s subject, Cathie Bustos of Medvetta Collection Services, has been a credit and collection professional for decades. After years of hard work and success, she’s ready to take the next step in her adventure by running an agency of her own.
- How long have you been in the debt collection business?
Since September 1, 1988.
- What is the biggest change in this industry since you started?
The biggest change to me is technology.
- What do you think has contributed to your longevity and success in this industry?
I believe it is because I TRULY love what I do and I have developed a reputation for being fair and honest.
- Where do you see the future of debt collection heading?
In my case hopefully up, but seriously The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has implemented regulations that protect both the consumer and collectors. As long as you follow the regulations that have been set forth and you have TRANSPARENCY and follow protocol I can see nothing but success.
- What is your proudest moment in business?
When I was given, after 30 years of employment, the opportunity to purchase the business.
- In life?
In life, it was when on September 3, 1988, I married the love of my life David Bustos, who has blessed me with three amazing daughters. Samantha is my oldest and I also have twin girls, Christina and Jessica.
- What PDCflow Products/Services have been most beneficial to your business? In what capacity?
PDCflow has allowed me the opportunity to offer yet another way of payment. I run more payments through PDCflow than check/cash deposits. Technology baby..lol
- If you weren’t at Medvetta Collection, what would you be doing?
I would be working for another collection agency if not Medvetta (formally Madera Credit Bureau).
- What resources are most valuable to you with staying up to date on industry changes?
The internet, because I just purchased the business. I still need to join ACA.
- What was the last great book you read or movie/TV show you saw? Why was it great?
I love romance novels, yup I said it. Nora Roberts is my favorite author.
- What jobs did you have in high school or college and what lessons did you learn from them that you still put into practice today?
I grew up working in the fields. My first job outside of the fields was McDonald’s. I love politics. I will always fight for people rights, so in high school, I did community speaking and that is when I realized I had a voice. I am now very vocal in my community.
My favorite M&M colors are the blue and yellow and I love to separate those colors from the rest in the bag. Please make sure they are peanut M&M’s! I’m a Big Los Angeles Rams Fan and I won’t let anyone else eat those colors.
About Cathie Bustos
I was born in Madera, California and was raised in Madera and East LA. I went from a field worker to a business owner. I married my husband David three days after getting my job in the collection field. We have three amazing children. My oldest is named Samantha and I have twin girls, Christina and Jessica. Politics run deep in my family. I have been a County School Board Member since 1998. I have held many titles and I am still honored to be representing my county in such a manner.
I am known for my honesty and dedication. I love to read and volunteer for many local events. Family means more to me than anything. I love my life and I also love my cat, Bentley.